Aug 10: drive from Ouray to Yankee Boy Basin












This is one of many 4-wheel drive roads around Ouray through incredible scenery (did I mention this is "Jeep Capital of the World"?) - this one to Yankee Boy Basin is considered easy to moderate - but still not for "white-knuckle drivers"! It was one of our favorite drives this year. There are mines, abandoned cabins, waterfalls, wildflowers, and of course, the incredible Mount Sneffels. There are other drives we would have loved to do in the area - but could not - such as Black Bear Pass which is rated "EEEK". We were told not to try it with our 22' long truck.
























This little undercut under the rock with the steep dropoff was the harriest looking part of the drive. I have some friends who would have got out and walked...I could not bring myself to look down over the edge as we drove it!




Had we run into problems, I wonder if this old rescue truck would have come up for us?

No comments: