2014-04 Sea Camp at Cumberland Island

There is camping on Cumberland Island at Sea Camp, amongst a dense and magical forest of live oak. It is a short walk from the Sea Camp Ranger Station (ferry stop) and also just steps from the beach. Backcountry / wilderness camping is also available by permit, requiring a hike of 5.5 to 10.5 miles to those sites. There are over 50 miles of hiking trails on the island, and no vehicles on the island except for rangers / staff. It was a magnificent setting and I would love to camp a few nights here!

We arrived after a long day of walking and beach-combing, at Sea Camp Ranger Station with a half-hour to spare before the last ferry of the day. Gary rested on the porch at Sea Camp to catch the ferry there, while I hiked back to Dungeness to catch the ferry at its last stop. I had visions of twisting my ankle on the trail and missing that last ferry pickup. I should mention...if you miss the last ferry, you spend the night on the island - and I left the backpack with Gary! Would've been a long cold night without even a pillow.


Boardwalk from the beach to Sea Camp


Welcome to the magical forest


OOOOHHH!
AAAAHHHH!



Camp site at Sea Camp has table, firepit, and what I believe is a racoon/squirrel box?


Finishing our long day of walking

Resting in the rocking chairs at Sea Camp Ranger Station
Looking down the beach 1/2 mile to the ferry dock at Dungeness
Ferry pulling into Dungeness stop with Gary on the bow. While waiting for the ferry on the Dungeness dock, I had a dolpin surface within 5 feet of me several times; it was a neat close encounter with a wild dolphin.

No comments: