Aspen area excursions: Castle Creek Road and Maroon Bells

A drive up Castle Creek Road to Ashcroft ghost town; it's a beautiful valley...



While in Aspen, there are so MANY things to do....but one must see is Maroon Bells. Also called the "Deadly Bells" because of the number of climbers' lives lost climbing these peaks, it is one of the most scenic, dramatic areas we've seen.  Gary fished Maroon Lake while I hiked to Crater Lake at the base of the bells (about 4 miles)....well worth the effort!






Maroon Lake with Maroon Bells reflection - I think everyone takes this picture!




The scenery along the trail is stunning all the way!




Finally saw my first Pika - a relative of the rabbit - who popped up beside me and "EEEP"d in my ear! I had been hearing this "EEEP" sound across the rocks for several minutes - not quite like a bird or squirrel - something similar to a dog squeekie toy.  I wonder if other rabbits make this sound...?


Ran into a couple backbacking with their two cattle dogs in tow, each carrying their own packs...



The scenery just kept getting better, hiking a bit beyond the Crater Lake trail, onto the West Maroon trail. We considered doing the East Maroon trail which loops into the Connundrum trail where the Connundrum Hot Springs are (about 9-10 miles up), but our schedule didn't allow for it - plus we were not comfortable leaving the RV unattended overnight. Really glad I hiked up to Crater Lake though - one of the prettiest hikes I've done - Gary missed out (and didn't even catch dinner!)



Leaving Maroon Bells, Gary rode his bike down the hill - no pedaling needed!


No comments: